- If you are doing your payroll using Excel, generating the EA form is a tedious and difficult process. To make it easier, we have added some functions in our Trial users to speed up and automate this process.
Problem doing EA form with Excel
- Month data is stored in separate files. Need to sum the Year total
- Need to fill in employee names and Tax number individually
- Need to fill the totals in the correct sections
- Need to print EA form or PDF files
- Need to generate E Form using EA Form data
We have added some features to each of these steps.
This software can be used in 3 ways to speed up your work.
The first choice is just to add your 12 Excel sheets into one Excel sheet. It does not import any data into Actpay. It just sums the 12 Monthly payroll files into one “YTD Total.xls” file. The other 2 choices require you to import data into the payroll software.
- Import all the monthly sheets and generate a YTD Excel file. Using this file manually fill in the EA form and E form.
- Import the employee information into Actpay and edit the EA Form manually
- Import the YTD data into Actpay using the Actpay Excel format and generate the EA Form and E Form. Note that this method requires some understanding of the program.
1. Import all the monthly sheets and generate a YTD Excel file.
The format of the Excel file does not matter. No name and other information does not matter either. Only fixed information is Employee No in the first column. The software will automatically add any number found in the Excel sheet.
Load January Excel Sheet.
Next Add to YTD. January Excel sheet will import including headers.
January data will be imported into 2nd Table.
Repeat this procedure for month 02 to month 12.
After all 12 months added, Save YTD
Click Sum YTD. Top table will not have total for all the 12 months. This example only imported month 1, 2 and 12. Note the totals for Employee 001 and 002.
Final step, Save Sum. Total YTD will be saved in file “YTD Total.xls”
First step is complete. If you choose, you can stop here and use the totals to do your EA form manually. If you want to use Actpay to do the EA form, then proceed to the next step.
2. Import the employee information into Actpay and edit the EA Form manually
Import Employee Information from Setup / Import Data.
This file has a fixed format. Details of the format can be found in the sample found in the software folder. Not all information is needed. Most important is Employee No. and Name.
Explanation of the fields can be found in the sample excel file. Any missing information can be added manually in the Employee Info Screen.
Then click on “Import XLS Employees” to import staff information.
Employee information has now been imported. Go to Employee Info to make any changes
You can now go to EA Form page and manually enter the values.
3. Import the YTD data into Actpay using the Actpay Excel format and generate the EA Form and E Form.
This option will import data from excel directly into the EA Form. This requires some knowledge of Actpay to get it done.
Following is the template for importing monthly data into the payroll software. This template is found in the actpay folder “Sample Import format for Monthly Data.xls”. The EA Form data required for importing is highlighted in red.
Copy the data from the YTD Total.xls to the correct columns in this format.
Go to Setup import and Load file and Import Month Data.
Go to Process Payroll and Update YTD.
Update EA Form. This will Update EA Form with YTD values. EA Form is now complete.
You can now go to EA Form page and edit any values you want before printing.
When you are satisfied with EA Form, you can then update E Form.
Go to Reports and print EA Form and E Form
To have finer detail in EA Form for allowances, as shown below, you need to import allowances separately
The Excel import template has space for 15 allowances, 10 deductions and 5 Benefit in Kind. Enter the values an import.
Allowance settings need to be set in the Allowance Creation screen. For more information on Adding allowances, please go to the following links.