There are several ways to start using Actpay payroll software, in the middle of the year. Following are 3 ways to get it done quick and easy.
- Personal information needs to be added.
- Archive data of past months need to be entered.
- Calculations must match past data.
Add Personal data
There are 2 ways to do this.
- Enter directly. It is not necessary to enter all the information. The basic information to get started are :
- Employee No. – Both alphabets and number are acceptable. Recommend alphanumeric. E.g. A001
- Basic Pay
- EPF, SOCSO, PCB and Resident Defaults are ok for most staff. Change if necessary
- For PCB, Enter No. children. More detailed children status can be entered in the Additional Information Tab. There are extra deductions for children in diploma/tertiary education.
- For PCB Enter Marital status
- This payroll software has a function to Import xls or csv files. We recommend using xls. Template can be found in the Actpayroll directory – “employee template EXAMPLE.xls”. Detailed Information is available at http://actpayroll.com/kb/import-data-excel-sheet/
Adding Historical Data
There are several ways to do this, but we recommend the following procedure for those who have done the earlier months manually.
This is probably the easiest. Most small SME’s do not have allowances and deductions. Variable data is limited to overtime.
Initial Setup of Allowances and Deductions.
If you have allowances and deductions, please add them first. Information can be found at :
- Adding Allowances and Deductions
- Adding Allowance, Deduction and PCB into Month Screen
- Video – Initial Setup and First Run
* Watch Video in 720 pixels for better clarity
Change Default PCB settings
Before updating the information it is necessary to change the default settings. It is important to note here that this example is for SME’s who use the PCB table for their payroll calculations. To simulate the PCB table calculations it is necessary to change the default PCB calculation settings. This can be found under the Default tab.
Calculate Monthly Payroll
Update individual staff information. A detailed video can be found at : Video – Staff Data Entry and Update Procedure. Make sure you choose the correct month.
The sequence is :
- Initialize month
- Update month
- Update YTD.
- Click Initialize Month Values first.
- Go to Month screen and edit as necessary.
- Compare the values against your manual calculations.
- Click Calc Month to verify the calculations. If the values are different from your original manual calculations, set the screen to Manual mode as explained below.
- On completing all the staff, Click on Update Full Month.
- Update Y-T-D and repeat for the next month.
Setting Calculations to Manual Mode
It is possible though that the values may differ especially for PCB. EPF and SOCSO should be the same in most cases.
If this is the case, it is necessary to make manual change to the values.
To do this edit the monthly screen and click on “Manual” found at the bottom of the screen. The Manual box must be ticked. This sets the screen to manual mode.
When manual mode is set, all table calculations and changes to any data except for the last column will be ignored. Make changes to any of the values found here. Click on “Calc Full Month”. The totals will change based on the edited values.
The values should now match your manual calculations. Make changes as necessary for any staff with differing values.
Repeat until current month.
The above procedure is sufficient to get the data up to date till the current month. You can now go live. This process should take less than half an hour depending on the number of staff.
It is now your choice whether to continue with calculations based on the PCB table or to upgrade to computer calculations. To upgrade to computer calculations change the Default PCB Setting back to Computerised calculation.
Alternative Fast method to start using the software immediately.
If you do not want to use the computerised PCB calculations, the Y-T-D values are not necessary. This payroll software has a special feature to allow simulation of manual PCB calculations. All you have to do is set the default PCB calculations to manual as outlined above. In this setting calculations will be exactly as done using the PCB table.
Once this is done, you can go back and add the previous month data at your own pace.
Enter YTD values in the CF Values Screen
Enter the YTD totals
- Click Edit
- Choose CF-YTD as shown above.
- Enter values as required. As stated, enter the green fields only.
Note on “New Staff / CF-YTD”
This option affects your EA form.
New Staff :
This setting is chosen when a new staff joins the company in the middle of the year. The screen should be filled based on information from the previous company. The YTD values are needed for computerised PCB calculations. The values input here will not be included in the EA form.
CF-YTD is used to input the YTD totals when a company starts using the software in the middle of the year. The values will be included in the EA form.